Wednesday 9 November 2016

Interview with A Fabulous Feminist

Anna, who blogs on A Fabulous Feminist, is one of my friends in real life and, I know I’m probably just a little biased, but I think she’s great. She’s one of my fellow Through Our Eyes bloggers, has guest posted on this blog before (check out her post here) and is vocal about bringing a stop to taboo subjects and spreading awareness for those issues. The main 2 issues she advocates is feminism (you should have guessed that from the title of her blog) and alopecia awareness, a condition she is personally affected by.

It just so happens that today is also Anna’s 17th birthday! Happy birthday Anna! I hope you have a great day.



1. For those who don’t know what it is, could you explain what alopecia is?


Alopecia is an autoimmune condition, which causes hair follicles to fall out for no reason. There are many different types, which are diagnosed depending on the amount of hair loss, and where. There is no known cause, and although it can be triggered by things like stress, that is not the root (unintentional pun!) cause.

2. In three words, sum up how it has affected your life.


Dramatically, emotionally & (at first) negatively.

3. What advice would you give to someone who also has alopecia but may not have told many people about it?


I would like to tell them that their alopecia does not define them. It can be tiring to hide and deal with, and scary, but there are so many other things about them which are more important. Don’t let alopecia take any more from you.

4. What are your ways of dealing with confidence issues?


I try to remember that it could always be worse, in a way which does not discredit my problem, but rather gives me an understanding that I am fortunate in some ways. Wigs help a lot, as it means I can vary my hair day to day, and put a positive spin on something that has caused me a lot of emotional pain.

5. If you could only achieve one thing from blogging, what would it be?


It would be to share my writing with an interested audience. I put my thoughts out there to connect with others, and if only one thing could be achieved, it would be that others read what I have written, and engage with it.

6. What are your tips for any aspiring poets?


Write. Forget about everyone else and write. Write for yourself. Don’t write worrying about how others would perceive it. Write your feelings, write your thoughts. Find that burning desire inside of you that yearns to write and feed it with your words. 

7. You’ve mentioned before that you’re an aspiring actress, what would be your dream role?


My dream role would be to play a character who is independent and badass. I want to play women who are sassy, and feisty, and feminist and proud of that. My dream role would be someone who is empathetic and an inspiration to everyone who sees her. I’m thinking a woman like Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games, and other strong protagonists.

8. Who are your top 3 role models and why?


My top three role models are Emma Watson, Angelina Jolie and my mum, Claire. Emma Watson is an incredible actress, as is Angelina Jolie, and also Emma’s work as the UN Goodwill Ambassador with HeForShe is amazing. She inspires me so much and was the one who first taught me about feminism. Angelina’s humanitarian work is so incredible and inspiring too. And of course, my mum, because she is always supporting and loving me. She recently had her head shaved in order to raise awareness and funds for Alopecia UK, a charity that has had such a positive impact on my life, and for that, I am so so grateful.

        ------------------------------------


If you want to know more about Anna, check out her blog here, I’m sure you’ll love it! To find out more about alopecia visit the Alopecia UK website where there is lots of information and news.




If you liked this post you might like: Why Am I A Feminist? | A Fabulous Feminist

No comments

Post a Comment